Today April 5th 2022 IBM announced the new generation of mainframe called IBM z16. Planned availability date is May 31, 2022. The system is a significant step forward from z15 with AI and compliance components as well as a restructuring from z15. With that the drawer capacity is significantly increased.
- tested platforms (more updates on the required service pending)
- Red Hat (minimal required versions)
- RHEL 7.9 with service
- RHEL 8.4: kernel 4.18.0-305.45.1.el8, s390utils-2.15.1-5.el8 (for CPU MF to work kernel 4.18.0-305.48.1)
- SLES 12 SP5 with service
- SLES 15 SP3: kernel 5.3.18-150300.59.54-default, s390-tools 2.15.1-8.11.1
- Ubuntu 20.04 LTS: kernel 5.4.0-107-generic, s390-tools 2.12.0-0ubuntu3
- Distribution Certifications:
- z/VM (7.1, 7.2, 7.3 support)
Please come back frequently here as I will updating this blog entry with more information as soon as it becomes available!