Today April 4th 2023 IBM announced two new members of the IBM z16 family: the z16 single frame (z16-A02) and the z16 rack mount. The planned availability date is May 17, 2023. This is about a year after the z16 release. The z16 single frame offers a significant capacity improvement over the z15 single frame and the rack mounted system is a first of a kind.
- z16 single frame and rack mount
- tested platforms (more updates on the required service pending)
- Red Hat (minimal required versions)
- RHEL 7.9: kernel 3.10.0-1160.60.1.el7, S390utils 1.23.0-48.el7; CCA lib: 7.3.45-08 (required for CEX8S crypto card support: kernel 3.10.0-1160.62.1.el7)
- RHEL 8.4: kernel 4.18.0-305.45.1.el8, s390utils-2.15.1-5.el8 (for CPU MF to work kernel 4.18.0-305.48.1)
- SLES 12 SP5: kernel 4.12.14-122.113, s390-tools 2.1.0-18.35.1; CCA lib: 7.3.45-08
- SLES 15 SP3: kernel 5.3.18-150300.59.54-default, s390-tools 2.15.1-8.11.1; CCA lib: 7.3.45-08
- Ubuntu 20.04 LTS: kernel 5.4.0-107-generic, s390-tools 2.12.0-0ubuntu3; CCA lib: 7.3.45-08
- Ubuntu 20.04 LTS: kernel 5.15.0-48
- Distribution Certifications:
- z/VM (7.1, 7.2, 7.3 support)
Please come back frequently here as I will updating this blog entry with more information as soon as it becomes available!