After the announcement in February, KVM for IBM z Systems 1.1.1 is now generally available. This is the second release, and it is expected that a new update is going to be released every half year.
Here are a few links for further details:
- Announcement letter 1.1.0, Announcement letter 1.1.1
- Key new features in the 1.1.1 version (see also here)
- Simultaneous multi threading (SMT) support in the host. The guests don’t see the difference
- Support for the Vector Facility introduced in z13(s) (SIMD) to accelerate string operations and calculations
- Hypervisor enhancements including support for iSCSI and NFS
- Unattended installation capability of hypervisor for ease of installation
- Includes Kimchi as a Hipervisor GUI (basic for now but already useful)
- Software Development Kit
- Supported in LPARs on zEC12, zBC12, z13 and newer machines (see announcement letter)
- SUSE support statement. They have a separate Web Page for this!
- Documention at the IBM Knowledgecenter and on Developerworks (pdf)
- KVM for IBM z Systems Limits and Configuration Recommendations
- High Availability with KVM for IBM z Systems
- “howto build” for the popular UI virt-manager
- Redbook “Getting Started with KVM for IBM z Systems”
- LSPR numbers for KVM
- Software support (expect this to grow over time)
- SAP application server
- IBM Software Product Compatibility Reports – select KVM for z as the hipervisor
Note: there is already the first fixpack available on Fix Central. When you start, please install the latest fixpack!
If you encounter any problems, please open a PMR with IBM.